The Illawarra and Southern Districts Tenant Participation Resource Service (TPRS) is auspiced by the Illawarra Forum Inc, and funded through FACS Housing NSW to deliver an information, referral and advocacy service to social housing tenants and applicants. The TPRS social housing tenants include public housing (HNSW), community housing and Aboriginal housing tenants.
The TPRS can work with you and/or your tenant group by:
- Helping tenants form tenant groups or associations, no matter how small or informal
- Providing resources and/or seeding grants to help new groups establish themselves
- Helping existing tenant groups with planning, training, lobbying and organising activities
- Helping tenant groups form local, area-wide or issues based networks with other groups or organisations
The TPRS can also make tenant participation more effective by:
- Offering training in advocacy, lobbying and other skills and strategies
- Establishing combined tenant groups to give tenants the opportunity to work in co-operation with other local groups
- Establishing networks of tenant groups throughout the Illawarra and South East
What sort of things do tenant groups do?
- Meet to discuss issues affecting tenants
- Hold meetings to talk to Housing NSW staff about these issues
- Hold social functions to help tenants get to know each other
- Conduct special projects to make their area a better place to live e.g. working bees on Clean Up Australia Day, establishing community gardens, holding craft or other activities, producing a newsletter about local activities and services, conducting safety audits to identify risks
- Attend combined and area tenant meetings
TPRS NewsletterClick here to download the June 2017 Newsletter Click here to download the February 2017 Newsletter
12th September. Shoalhaven one day Tenant Conference; Will be held at the Anglicare Room, 4 West st Nowra. This is a day for tenants to meet other tenants in their area and hear presentations including how to volunteer in the community, how to access adult education, responsible pet ownership, Work and Development Orders. Morning tea and lunch included, click below for more informationClick here to download the Shoalhaven Tenant Forum Flier
19th September. Illawarra one day Tenant Conference; Will be held at the City Diggers Club, Corner Church & Burelli St Wollongong. Come along and meet other tenants from across the area and hear presentations on a range of topics including Fire safety in the home, How to pay off fines through Work & Development Orders, volunteering opportunities and try some gentle exercise with a Tai Chi session.. Morning tea and lunch included, click below for more information.Click here to download the Illawarra Tenant Forum Flier
14th November. Goulburn one day tenant Conference; will be held at the Goulburn Workers Club. This is a day for tenants to meet other tenants in their area. Presentations include EWON- how to reduce energy and water costs and what to do if you have a complaint against your energy provider. Fair Trading; Scams and other consumer rights, Accessing adult education and volunteering options. Morning tea and lunch included. Flier to come
16th November. Queanbeyan one day tenant Conference; At the Queanbeyan Tigers Club. This is a day for tenants to meet other tenants in their area and hear presentations on a range of topics including; how to access adult education, EWON; how to reduce energy costs and Queanbeyan Council; how to be a responsible pet owner. Plus, have you ever wanted to get increase you fitness levels? Find out how you can become involved with the ‘Queanbeyan Walk’ group. Morning tea and lunch included .Click here to download the Queanbeyan Tenant Conference Flier
2017 Housing Seminar
In June 2017 the Navigating Housing Options Seminar was held for community workers across the Illawarra and Shoalhaven. This seminar was aimed at providing workers, who do not work in a housing support role, with information that will enable them to assist clients experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness. Workers heard presentations from Housing NSW, Housing Online Services, IRT and the Illawarra and South Coast Tenants Advocacy & Advice Service on the services they offer to assist your clients. Click below for relevant fact sheets.Private Rental Assistance fact sheet Online Services fact sheet RentStart fact sheet Tenancy Guarantee fact sheet
Contact us to become involved. Your involvement may be at one of our training courses, by attending a tenant forum, or simply by asking TPRS to attend your tenant group.
Tel 1300 559 557 or 02 4256 4377
PO Box 158
Oak Flats NSW 2529
Click on the links below to see some of the recent projects TPRS has conducted. These are often done in partnership with other agencies, we are always happy to discuss partnership opportunities
In the last 12 months, TPRS has held regional tenant information forums in Cooma, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, Illawarra and Shoalhaven. These forums inform tenants on information relevant to their tenancy, community support services available in their area and importantly provide tenants with the opportunity to meet other tenants in their area.
- Tenant’s Rights & Social Housing Tenant’s Advice Services. Click here to go to the website.
- Shelter NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Housing NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Tenants Union of NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Housing NSW policies and fact sheets Click here to go to the website.
Food Fairness Illawarra
Food Fairness Illawarra is a voluntary, not-for-profit alliance of community groups, individuals, agencies and government organisations committed to good food – fresh, nutritious, safe and sustainable food. The website has details of workshops, articles on gardening and sustainable food, fact sheets and resources. Click here to go to the website.
Low Cost and Free Meals Directory
This Directory contains information about services, organizations and clubs that provide free or low cost meals in the Wollongong, Kiama and Shellharbour areas. It includes information on donating food and volunteering. Click here to download the Directory.
No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS)
NILS provide access to interest free loans for essential items such as household items, medical and dental, education essentials and limited other items. Loans are repaid by affordable repayments over 12 to 18 months. NILS are administered by community organisations across the region. To qualify, you must have a Pension or Health Care card or be on a low income. Click here to find out more about NILS or to locate your local office.