The Illawarra and Southern Districts Tenant Participation Resource Service (TPRS) is auspiced by the Illawarra Forum Inc, and funded through FACS Housing NSW to deliver an information, referral and advocacy service to social housing tenants and applicants. The TPRS social housing tenants include public housing (HNSW), community housing and Aboriginal housing tenants.
The TPRS can work with you and/or your tenant group by:
- Helping tenants form tenant groups or associations, no matter how small or informal
- Providing resources and/or seeding grants to help new groups establish themselves
- Helping existing tenant groups with planning, training, lobbying and organising activities
- Helping tenant groups form local, area-wide or issues based networks with other groups or organisations
The TPRS can also make tenant participation more effective by:
- Offering training in advocacy, lobbying and other skills and strategies
- Establishing combined tenant groups to give tenants the opportunity to work in co-operation with other local groups
- Establishing networks of tenant groups throughout the Illawarra and South East
What sort of things do tenant groups do?
- Meet to discuss issues affecting tenants
- Hold meetings to talk to Housing NSW staff about these issues
- Hold social functions to help tenants get to know each other
- Conduct special projects to make their area a better place to live e.g. working bees on Clean Up Australia Day, establishing community gardens, holding craft or other activities, producing a newsletter about local activities and services, conducting safety audits to identify risks
- Attend combined and area tenant meetings
TPRS NewsletterClick here to download the February Newsletter
2017 Housing Seminar
We are repeating our very successful Housing Seminar, originally held as part of Homelessness Week 2014.
This Seminar is for community workers and others who don’t work in a housing role but who may assist clients with housing issues as part of their role. Workers will be better informed on how they can best support a client down the different paths to stable accommodation including support to access private rental or maintaining an existing at risk tenancy.Click here to download the 2017 Housing Seminar Flier and to access booking details
Contact us to become involved. Your involvement may be at one of our training courses, by attending a tenant forum, or simply by asking TPRS to attend your tenant group.
Tel 1300 559 557 or 02 4256 4366
Fax 02 4256 4377
PO Box 158
Oak Flats NSW 2529
Click on the links below to see some of the recent projects TPRS has conducted. These are often done in partnership with other agencies, we are always happy to discuss partnership opportunities
In the last 12 months, TPRS has held regional tenant information forums in Cooma, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, Illawarra and Shoalhaven. These forums inform tenants on information relevant to their tenancy, community support services available in their area and importantly provide tenants with the opportunity to meet other tenants in their area.
- Tenant’s Rights & Social Housing Tenant’s Advice Services. Click here to go to the website.
- Shelter NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Housing NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Tenants Union of NSW. Click here to go to the website.
- Housing NSW policies and fact sheets Click here to go to the website.
Food Fairness Illawarra
Food Fairness Illawarra is a voluntary, not-for-profit alliance of community groups, individuals, agencies and government organisations committed to good food – fresh, nutritious, safe and sustainable food. The website has details of workshops, articles on gardening and sustainable food, fact sheets and resources. Click here to go to the website.
Low Cost and Free Meals Directory
This Directory contains information about services, organizations and clubs that provide free or low cost meals in the Wollongong, Kiama and Shellharbour areas. It includes information on donating food and volunteering. Click here to download the Directory.
No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS)
NILS provide access to interest free loans for essential items such as household items, medical and dental, education essentials and limited other items. Loans are repaid by affordable repayments over 12 to 18 months. NILS are administered by community organisations across the region. To qualify, you must have a Pension or Health Care card or be on a low income. Click here to find out more about NILS or to locate your local office.